Okanagan/Shuswap Real Estate Market Statistics, December 2017Published: January 8, 2018
December was an interesting end to 2017! Despite cold weather, there was some significant activity, especially in higher end properties. It was exciting to see our first sale over $1 million on Silver Star Mountain since 2008!
On the other hand, it was a typical holiday month with most Sellers and Buyers just too busy to focus on listing or viewing homes. This sentiment is reflected in the latest sale and new listing statistics which were on trend with volumes from December 2016. In the Okanagan/Shuswap, between November and December, new listings declined 24% and recorded MLS sales decreased a whopping 65%! Inventory remain at an all-time low!
Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board (OMREB) reports a few anomalies. First, December’s average home price rose 3.5% over November. Secondly, average days on market decreased.
On January 1st we watched Canadians ring in a New Year – as the Federal Government rolled out its 7th round of mortgage tightening rules since 2008 (wow!). New rules include requiring buyers with 20% or more down payment to pass a new ‘stress test’ to prove they could cope with the risk of potential higher interest rates. We will be meeting with our mortgage broker experts over the next week to gain full insight on how to guide our clients! We will be ready!
*Real Estate Statistics – December 2017 vs December 2016
North Okanagan: Vernon, Silver Star, Coldstream, Armstrong, Lumby & Enderby
- Overall sales up 5% to 122 units.
- Single Family home sales up down 5% to 57 units
- New listings, down 22% to 105 units.
- Active listings down 11% to 1,012 units.
- Single Family homes listed down 6% to 44 units.
- Average days to sell down 21% to 77 days.
Shuswap: Salmon Arm & Sicamous
- Overall sales down 14% to 55 units.
- Single Family home sales, consistent at 22 units.
- New listings, up 3% to 67 units.
- Active listings down 18% to 669 units.
- Single Family homes listed up 9% to 25 units.
- Average days to sell down 20% to 134 days
*Source: Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board Statistics (Monthly Statistics, December 2017)